An icon of writing culture pays homage to the great literary adventure by French author Jules Verne.
Montblanc introduces Montblanc Meisterstück Around The World in 80 Days, a new collection that brings to life this fantastical story of world circumnavigation with elegant design elements inspired by the themes of the classic adventure. A bestselling novel in its day, Around the World in Eighty Days tells the story of British gentleman Phileas Fogg’s extraordinary trip around the world in just 80 days, in his fearless attempt to win a bet. Despite the numerous challenges and constraints he faces as a 19th century adventurer, the unflappable Fogg demonstrates passion, determination and a pioneering spirit that enable him to accomplish the unimaginable.
The indigo blue and the wave pattern of the editions is inspired by the ocean journey from the Suez Canal to Bombay. The steamboat, the main means of transport for the characters in the first leg of their journey, is laser engraved on the cap of each edition. As a token of the card game during which Fogg makes his wager, the clip is decorated with the ace of spades in black lacquer, while the other card suits are discretely incorporated into the wave pattern on the cap of each edition.
The 18 days required to complete the first leg of the trip (two days faster than planned) can be found engraved on the back of the cap top, and the 80 days allotted for the entire journey on the front. The two dates engraved on the handcrafted Au 750 solid gold nib mark the start date of the journey – 2 October – and the date Fogg arrived in Bombay to complete the first stage – 20 October. The hot-air balloon honours Jules Verne’s adventurous spirit and refers to another of his works, Five Weeks in a Balloon, in which his characters used a hot-air balloon to search for the source of the Nile. Symbol of excellence in craftsmanship and design, the Montblanc emblem in resin crowns each writing instrument.
The three editions that make up the Montblanc Meisterstück Around the World in 80 Days Collection include:
- Meisterstück Around The World in 80 Days Resin Le Grand & Classique with a cap and barrel made of blue precious resin with an embossed pattern of key elements of Phileas Fogg’s journey – ocean waves and playing card suits. The blue resin is enhanced with platinum-coated fittings.
- Meisterstück Around The World in 80 Days Resin Doué Edition features engravings of the wave pattern and steamship on the platinum-coated cap, while the barrel is made of a blue translucent lacquer with a subtle gradient effect. The cap is adorned with a metal cartouche engraved with the steamboat.
- Meisterstück Around The World in 80 Days Solitaire Edition displays a cap and barrel made of blue translucent lacquer with a milled pattern representing the key elements of the first 18 days of the journey: ocean waves and a steamboat. It also features the steamboat cartouche. The 18K handcrafted bi-colour rhodium and champagne tone gold-coated nib is decorated with the hot air balloon associated with Jules Verne’s adventure stories.
In addition, the pioneering spirit and sense of adventure the book conveys are captured in matching accessories and wearables:
- Smart watch – To coincide with the launch of the collection, Montblanc is introducing a limited edition of its Summit Lite smart watch with a specially designed “80 Days” watch face and a blue calfskin strap that mirrors the ocean pattern featured throughout the collection.
- Stationery – a blue leather pen pouch with the wave motif, calfskin notebooks embossed with the book themes and a deep blue ink inspired by the famous novel.
- Men’s accessories – steel round cufflinks with the card suit design, and leather and steel bracelets in red and blue.
Montblanc Meisterstück Around The World in 80 Days Collection is available from May 2021 at Montblanc boutiques worldwide and online.
Synonymous with excellence in craftsmanship and design, Montblanc has been pushing the boundaries of innovation ever since the Maison first revolutionized the culture of writing in 1906. Ingenuity and imagination continue to be driving forces for the Maison today as it advances its expression of fine craftsmanship across product categories: writing instruments, watches, leather goods, new technologies and accessories. Reflecting upon its ongoing mission to create fine lifetime companions born from bold ideas and expertly crafted through the skills of the Maison’s artisans, the iconic Montblanc Emblem has become the ultimate seal of performance, quality and an expression of sophisticated style. As part of its on-going commitment to elevating and support those who strive to leave their mark, Montblanc continues to assert its encouragement of education programs around the world and initiatives that inspire people to express their full potential